Adult men and women often notice excessive fullness in the chin and neck area with age. In most cases, the fullness in the neck does not go away with regular diet and exercise, and often seems to obliterate the jawline and chinline. For these patients, a neck liposuction procedure may provide a quick and effective treatment to re-establish the jawline and recontour the neck. Neck liposuction can be performed using traditional liposuction, microsculpt liposuction, and ultrasound or laser liposuction. The decision to proceed with liposuction of the neck can be made after a comprehensive discussion and consultation with Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian, a board certified plastic surgeon in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills.
Click here to read about Neck Liposuction Frequently Asked Questions.
QUESTIONS ABOUT CHIN & NECK LIPOSUCTION:
- What are my options for getting rid of fat around the chin and neck area? Neck liposuction provides outstanding surgical results for patients who have excess fat along the chin and neck areas. We often refer to this problem as a double chin. Dr. Karamanoukian will evaluate your platysma muscle tone and determine whether you are a good candidate for neck liposuction to contour your chin and neck, and also provide definition of your jawline.
- Can I take Arnica supplements after neck liposuction? Dr. Karamanoukian recommends that all patients take an Arnica supplement before and after their liposuction surgery. Our office recommends the Bruise-Pak Arnica tablets as they contain a more standardized form of Arnica montana that is suitable for surgery. You may purchase Bruise-Pak from our office or online prior to your surgery.
- How long does neck liposuction take to perform? Neck liposuction can be performed within one hour and the goal of the surgery is not necessarily how fast it can be performed, but how meticulously and safely the surgery can be completed. Dr. Karamanoukian is a double board certified plastic surgeon and performs all procedures in an accredited outpatient surgical suite under local tumescent anesthesia or general anesthesia.
- How does chin liposuction work? The area underneath the chin and in the area of the upper neck can sometimes be genetically linked to fat accumulation. This fat can sometimes be resistant to normal diet and exercise and can often be difficult to recontour with conservative measures. Chin liposuction works to remove the double chin problem from the upper neck by removing the fat with either liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, or laser liposuction. A small incision is made through which a suction-assisted cannula is inserted to aspirate the unwanted fat. Dr. Karamanoukian will also contour the area to maximize the aesthetic gain from the procedure. The remaining skin will tighten and reconform to the neck line. The most common reasons to undergo chin liposuction are excessive neck fat, a double chin, or the absence of a sharp or contoured jawline.
- How long does chin liposuction take to perform? Chin liposuction can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. It usually takes about 30 minutes to undergo the procedure. Most chin liposuctions are performed without general anesthesia with the patients awake during the entire procedure. If patients are anxious or nervous about the procedure, our office staff may provide you with natural calming meds or a prescription to help reduce your anxiety.
If you are considering liposuction to the chin and neck area, you should be aware of the many alternatives available in our office. Dr. Karamanoukian performs traditional liposuction, laser liposuction, ultrasound liposuction, and microsculpt liposuction to treat the chin and neck area. During your consultation, Dr. Karamanoukian will examine your jawline and supra and subplatysmal fat in order to determine which type of neck liposuction is appropriate for you. Liposuction of the chin and neck can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures such as blepharaplasty, fractional CO2 laser resurfacing, mini facelifts, browlifts, and rhinoplasty procedures. Many men will have a rhinoplasty and neck liposuction performed simultaneously as they are complementary procedures.
An additional consideration when discussing chin and neck liposuction is the projection of the chin. Some patients will have a small chin that makes the neck area look less defined. In these patients, a combined liposuction with chin augmentation will allow the jawline to look more refined while still looking natural. Chin augmentation is performed with permanent silastic chin implants that are manufactured to last indefinitely. Chin implants have low risk profiles and provide natural enhancement to the chin and neck areas. Read more about chin implants and chin augmentation on our www.Surgery90210.com website.
Neck Liposuction surgery is performed by Raffy Karamanoukian, MD FACS, a double board certified plastic surgeon practicing in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Dr. Karamanoukian is a graduate of the UCLA School of Medicine and is currently on faculty at the University of California Irvine Department of Plastic Surgery. Consultation with Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian will entail a full examination and discussion of neck liposuction options that are available in our Los Angeles plastic surgery office, including traditional liposuction, tumescent liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, and laser liposuction. Dr. Karamanoukian will also provide you with recommendations for laser neck rejuvenation and chemical peels to improve neck skin texture and contour.
- Will I bruise with my chin and neck liposuction procedure?
- Is neck liposuction appropriate for men? Male plastic surgery?
- Neck Liposuction Questions & Answers